Dr. Nathel Burtley Leadership and Racial Equity Fund
Dr. Nathel Burtley believed that for community leadership to be effective, it must be representative of individuals from all walks of life. He believed in building and supporting leaders through advocating for public education. To preserve Dr. Burtley’s legacy in the Flint community, his family has established a charitable fund at the Community Foundation of Greater Flint.
The Dr. Nathel Burtley Leadership and Racial Equity Fund has the following goals:
- Develop leadership skills of community members to address community-identified issues.
- Encourage organizations to become community-centered and inclusive in their leadership from the inside out.
- Strengthen efforts to increase racial equity in all sectors.
- Support organizing, advocacy, and policy reform work related to leadership and education supporting traditionally marginalized groups.
- Support underrepresented and underserved students from the Flint community in their quest for education.
When you make a gift to the Dr. Nathel Burtley Leadership and Racial Equity Fund you are supporting the Fund’s goals and the Burtley family wishes. In addition, the Fund supports the Community Foundation's ongoing strategic initiatives, including trainings and capacity-building around racial justice for nonprofit organizations through our Truth, Racial Healing and Transformation initiative.